Monday, October 24, 2011

Wisdom behind Animal Sacrifice in Islam (Eid-ul-Adha and Hajj)


Sacrificing certain types of animals during Hajj and Eid-ul-Adha are part of Islamic rites. Islam is not the only religion which prescribes animal sacrifice. In recent times, due to influence of the animal rights movement, the sacrifice of animals has come under attack. Below is Muslim American Michel Jansen’s experience of apprehension towards Islamic animal sacrifice during Hajj and how she reconciled herself to the rite.
Before I had embarked on the Pilgrimage, its rituals seemed to me just so many curious exercises. But as I participated in the event of the Pilgrimage, the meaning of these rites unfolded, my understanding of Islam was deepened and I learned more fully what it meant to be a Muslim. Indeed, this is why God had commanded Muhammad to issue the call for the pilgrimage: “That they (the pilgrims) may witness things that are of benefit to them…” (Quran 22:28).
(For example, towards the end of the Hajj when the time of making the [animal] Sacrifice came), I began to feel uneasy. Since I have not completely outgrown the tender-heartedness I had known as a child, I had balked at the idea of the Sacrifice long before being confronted with it and now the time had come to do it. What was I to do? As a girl I had cared for lost dogs or stray cats, adopting any fledgling that had fallen from its nest, splitting a bird’s broken leg with match stick and feeding injured butterflies on sugar syrup. But a companion had been adamant. “You must do the Sacrifice.”
Back at our building in Mina I turned to the Quran. I found that the Sacrifice has many meanings:it commemorates Abraham’s (peace be upon him) offering of his son’s life and God’s rejection of this sacrifice in exchange for Abraham’s submission to God’s willit marks the end of idolatry among Arabs; it is an offering of thanksgiving to the God of Creation Who has been so benevolent to mankind; and it teaches the well-to-do to share their blessings to “eat thereof (the Sacrifice) and feed the beggar and the suppliant” (Quran 22:36).
As I pondered what I had read, a great weight was lifted from my conscience. I suddenly saw thatthe Sacrifice upholds the sacredness of life, that it, in fact, constitutes a pledge by the pilgrim that he will slay for sustenance only. And where I had felt reluctance before, I now felt eagerness to fulfill all the requirements of my pilgrimage.

Compiled From:
“ISLAM- The Natural Way”, by Adbul Wahid Hamid, pP. 127-128

No comments:

Post a Comment