Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Act that brings you closer to Allah: Kindness to mother

A man came to Ibn Abbas RA and said, "I asked for a women's hand in marriage, and she refused me.
Someone else asked for her hand and she accepted and married him. I felt jealous so I killed her. Will my repentance be accepted?"


Ibn Abbas asked, "Is your mother still alive?"


He said, "No."


So Ibn Abbas told him, "Repent to Allah and do your best to draw close to Him."


Then Ataa' ibn Yasaar RA who over heard their conversation asked, "why did you ask him if his mother was still alive?"


Ibn Abbas said, "Because I know of no other deed that brings people closer to Allah than kind treatment and respect towards one's mother."



Bukhari, Al-Adab al-Mufrad, 1/45 baab birr al-umm.

No comments:

Post a Comment