Friday, May 28, 2010

The Jew who tested the Prophet's two qualities

Zayd bin Sa'nah Radiyallahu'Anhu who was a Jew, once began saying:

'There was not a sign of prophethood in Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam which I had not found in him, except for two signs, which I did not have the opportunity to test. The first is that his hilm (gentleness) will overcome his anger. The second is, the more one acts foolishly towards him the more he will tolerate it.

I looked for a chance to test these two signs, and kept on coming and going to his gatherings. One day Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam came out of his house. 'Ali was with him. just then a badawi type of person came and said:
'O Rasulullah, my community have accepted Islaam, and I had told them that, if they became Muslims, they shall receive abundant sustenance. And now such a time has come where drought has befallen us. I fear that they will leave Islaam. If the idea is suitable, it is suggested that you assist them.'
Sayyidina Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam looked towards a person who may have been 'Ali. He replied, 'Ya Rasulullah, there is nothing available'.
Sayyidina Zayd Radiyallahu 'Anhu who was of the Jewish faith at that time, was witnessing this incident, he said. 'O Muhammad, if you can do this, a certain amount of dates of a certain person's palm grove be given to me at a fixed time, then I shall pay now in advance and collect the dates at the appointed time.'
Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam replied this was possible, but if you do not stipulate the palm grove I can make an agreement. I accepted it, and paid eighty mith-qaal of gold (according to well known sayings one mithaqaal equals 100 grains or four and half maa-shaas approx. four and half grams).
Sayyidina Rasulullah Sallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam gave the gold to this badawi and said to him, 'Do not forget to be just, and fulfil their needs with this.'

Zayd Radiyallahu 'Anhu further says, when two or three days were left for the time to collect the dates, Rasulullah was sitting near a well while returning from a funeral with the Sahaabah, among whom were Abubakr, 'Umar, and 'Uthmaan.

I came and caught the hem of the kurtah and sheet of Sayyidina Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam and cynically said:
'O Muhammad, you do not want to pay my debt. I swear by Allah, that I know all the children of 'Abdul Muttalib very well. You are very poor payers'.
'Umar looked at me in anger and said: 'O enemy of Allah! what are you mumbling? I swear by Allah, that if I did not fear (the presence of Rasulullah) I would have severed your head'.
Rasulullah was looking at me very calmly, and said smilingly to 'Umar: ''Umar, This person and I are in need of something more. He should have told me to take care in fulfilling his rights and should have advised in a better manner when putting forward his claim. Go take him and fulfill his rights, and for having scolded him give him in lieu twenty saa' (approximately two mann approx 66,5 kg) dates extra in excess of his right'.

Umar took me and fulfilled my rights and gave me the twenty extra saa'.
I asked: 'For what are these twenty extra saa'?''
Umar replied: 'This is the command of Rasulullah'.
Zayd Radiyallahu 'Anhu said:''Umar do you know me?
'Umar replied: 'No'
I said: I am Zayd bin Sa'nah.
He asked: 'The Allaamah (great learned) of the Jews?'
I replied: 'I am that very person'.
He said: 'Being a man of such calibre, why did you behave before Rasulullah in such a manner?'
I replied: 'Two signs from the signs of prophethood were left, which I was not able to test. The first is the hilm (gentleness) of Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam suspersedes his anger. The second is that, the more one acts foolishly towards him, the more he will tolerate it. Now I have tested these two also, therefore I make you witness to my acceptance of Islam.
I give half of my wealth in charity (sadqah) to the ummah of Muhammad Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam''.
Therefore he returned to the noble presence of Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam and accepted Islaam. Later he took part in many battles and was martyred in the Battle of Tabuk (May Allah be pleased with him).



-From Shamaail Tirmidhi, Jam'u; Fawaa-id and Jam'ul Wasaa-il.

No comments:

Post a Comment